Skip to main content

Requirements Before Boating In Canadian Waters

By September 21, 2016Marine

A recent update made now requires boaters to report their craft when entering Canadian waters to the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) carrying 29 passengers or fewer.

To help ensure minimal wait times for private boat owners, we recommend that you pre-register your personal and travel document information in advance. You must provide the following information for each individual on the boat:

  • Full legal name
  • Date of birth
  • Travel document number, type and expiry date

Failure to report your craft can land you with a minimum fine of $1,000 and/or detention, seizure or forfeiture of your boat. Canadian law enforcement patrols Canada’s coasts and inland waterways. They have the authority to stop any boat that has recently entered Canadian waters.

How to Report Your Boat

You can e-mail your information to The TRC. The CBSA will then enter your information into the system within 24 hours of receipt. You must still use the regular reporting methods to report your entry,  but can also call at 7-888-226-7277 or Nexus at 1-866-96-3987.

If you are visiting Canada, you can report to the TRC from your cellphone from the location at which you enter Canadian waters when you:

  • Do not intend to land on Canadian soil, and
  • Will not be leaving any people or goods in Canada.

Whether you chose to pre-register or not, be sure to always have your travel documents on hand when you call the TRC to report entry into Canada. This will assist the CBSA in facilitating your entry into Canada as quickly as possible.

There are specific requirements for non-residents of Canada. Here is what you need:

  • Full name, date of birth and citizenship;
  • Length and purpose of the stay in Canada;
  • Destination;
  • Acceptable identification; If you are a U.S. citizen, ensure you carry proof of citizenship such as a passport, birth certificate, a certificate of citizenship or naturalization, or a Certificate of Indian Status along with photo identification. If you are a U.S. permanent resident, ensure you carry proof of your status such as a U.S. Permanent Resident Card.

For more information, contact our marine specialist about this requirement.  They bring a great deal of knowledge to the marine industry and are happy to work with you.